Getting the job done quickly is essential when you are experiencing issues with your roofing in Canton Michigan. You will likely hire someone who has a good reputation and who can do the job for a fair price. Many people outsource when it comes to their roofing contractor in Canton Michigan, finding that those who are out of state might provide the promise of faster service at a better price. Here are some things to look out for if you decide to do the same.
The Dangers in Hiring Roofing in Canton Michigan That Are Not Local
Since the roofing on your home is designed to last for many years the task of hiring a roofing contractor to replace the roof doesn’t come around that often. In fact, most roofing materials will last at least 15 years with some lasting more than 40 years.
This can leave a lot of frustration and danger when it comes to hiring a roofer because you simply don’t know or have no prior knowledge of what to look for. It’s always best to hire a local roofer like All Point Construction. All Point Construction has been serving the great folks of Canton for over 20 years and continues to offer top quality roofing services at competitive pricing. Call them today at 734-407-7110 for a free quote on your roofing project.
By hiring a roofer that is not local to the Canton Michigan area you open yourself up to all sorts of problems. Here are just a few:
- Because the contractor must travel far to get the job done, he is likely to oversell or up-sell you. This tactic is something that people utilize in order to place pressure on you. They might offer you additional services that you don’t need, making it sound like it is a necessity that you purchase them. Don’t be fooled by these methods; if you know that you only need roof repairs, stand firm.
- There are some contractors that are known as “storm chasers.” They enter town after a storm and try to gain customers that are in urgent need of repairs. Fixing things quickly is what they are great at, but the work is often sub-par. If anything goes wrong in the weeks to follow, the contractor is usually nowhere to be found. These companies are very seasonal, normally only working in areas that are in immediate need.
- Roofers who come into a town that is far from their hometown will often try to squeeze in as many jobs as possible. Your home might be one of multiple that they work on in a day, so the quality can often be compromised. Again, it is hard to hold an out of town roofer accountable because they are normally quick to move on. You will get stuck with bad work and will need to pay even more money to get the problems corrected.
- Sometimes, insurance becomes the issue. A lot of travelling roofers tend to not carry insurance, so make sure that you are always asking for the proper certificates that will show you the proof of insurance. If you assume that it is in place, you will end up paying the damages out of pocket if it turns out that he is not insured.
- Though your aim is to save money by hiring someone who is working out of state, you might actually end up paying more. Make sure that you do some thorough research before you make your final decision. You might find that your local contractors actually have better deals to offer.
- A common scam that is seen a lot in the roofing industry is the requirement of a down payment that never gets applied to the balance. If an out of state roofer asks you to put money down, make sure that you obtain something in writing that clearly depicts what that money will go toward. Whether it gets applied to the balance or refunded, it is your right to know what is happening with your money.
There is a lot that you need to be aware of when hiring a roofer, so make sure that you consider all of these things before outsourcing. A good roofer should have no problem communicating with you and will be able to return in case you are in need of repairs. Everything should be put in writing, and a valid insurance certificate will be no problem to procure. Finding someone who fits all of the criteria is worth it, especially for the safety of your roof and the quality of the services.