If you’re interested in making sure you keep your roofing Canton Michigan safe, there are a few things that you should do in order to ensure this. Here are some examples of key factors you should consider when it comes to making sure your roof stays the way you want with the help of canton MI roofers and roofing contractors in Michigan.
The Importance of Being Proactive
The last thing you want to do is find out that your roof has problems around the time it’s falling apart or when water is pouring in. The key to making sure that you maintain the safe, secure, comfortable state of your roof is to get out in front of it ahead of time.
This means being vigilant in your approach. There’s no advantage to waiting, you’ll want to do everything you can as soon as you can so that you’ll be ready when the time is right.
Recognize Signs That You Need a New Roof
One of the most important things you can do in order to make sure that your roof stays in the condition that you want it to stay in is to keep an eye on when something needs to change. This change could take the form of repairs, or if it’s bad enough, you may need a whole new roof replacement. Here are some signs that you definitely need the services of a contractor-
- It’s Old- You don’t need any other sign to look into replacing or at least repairing your roof then it’s age. If you have an asphalt roof, it will last around 20 or 25 years. If your roof was installed around that time, then it’s definitely something you need to look at immediately. Obviously, other factors come into this, such as whether the roof before that was removed and how many layers of shingles you have. If a roof was just installed over others that are more than 20 years old, you likely need a new one.
- Shingles Are Gone- Another simple test that can be a true giveaway is just looking at the roof and checking to see what the shingles look like. If you see gaps in roof coverage and shingles are missing, then looking into service or installation is likely inevitable if you want to keep your roof in top shape for keeping you safe and comfortable.
- Light Through the Roof- When you or anyone else walks on the roof, if you notice that there’s a spongy sensation to your step and a bit of an extra bounce, then this could likely mean that the structure underneath has moisture damage. This is often accompanied by light filtering down through your roof into the room below. If you have an attic, this would be an excellent place to check for damage.
- Buckling or Curling- It’s not just missing shingles that are a problem. If you see shingles that are buckling under or curling at the edges, this is also a sign of serious problems. It’s especially important to check shingles that are under direct sunlight the most. If these have those signs of curling or buckling to them, this is a sure sign that the shingles may be past their prime.
- Stains-This sign is actually going to be from the inside of your house. You’ll notice dark stains and streaks on the ceiling from the underside. You may also notice these stains rolling down the walls. This means that your roof is probably leaking and causing moisture damage to not only your roof, but probably the interior of your house as well. This is why it’s important to protect your roof ahead of time as much as you can. This is because your roof protects the rest of your house, so you have to protect your roof.
- Sagging Parts- Thing of a piece of cardboard that’s been left out in the rain and how it sags when you pick it up due to being waterlogged. That can happen to your roof. If you see parts of your roof that are sagging. If you gently touch that area and it looks like it’s getting soft, bends without trouble, or is full of water, then that is moisture damage. It indicates that you’re going to need help soon if you want to avoid serious problems from your roof. Generally, you may just need a new one if the damage is generally considered to be severe enough.
Recognize Quality Contractors for Your Problem
Just like recognizing problems with your roof, identifying signs that a contractor is going to be reliable and help you with your problem thoroughly and completely at a reasonable price point is essential to positive outcomes. Here are a few ways to do that.
Check Reliable Evaluation Sources from Customers
First, you need to see what other people have to say about the company. You need to see whether other customers find them to be reliable, efficient, and competent. For this, it’s worth checking places like Yelp, Google Reviews, and other more roofing-specific sources.
While it can help to check the actual site for the company you’re considering itself for reviews and testimonials there, it’s often also critical to go outside of that range to third parties to make sure you are being thorough enough with your review.
Professional Business Review Sites
Outside of the usual suspects for reviews, another excellent type to try include options like Better Business Bureau. This site gives letter grades to companies based on factors like-
- Years in Business-While the number of years the business has been operating isn’t an absolute guarantee of quality, it doesn’t hurt, certainly. You can also see how long BBB has had them accredited.
- Numbers of Complaints-If there are a huge number of complaints within a small time frame, this is obviously a bad sign and the company will likely go down letter grades.
- How Complaints Are Handled-You can actually go through the complaints yourself, or many of them, to see what people complained about and how the BBB responded. This is a way for you to evaluate for yourself. The Bureau will also take this into consideration when deciding a letter grade.
Sometimes the complaints are reasonable and sometimes they’re not. Either way, it helps to see what sort of steps the company took to resolve them. It can also help you specifically since some of the complaints could be problems you’ve had with companies before as well.
A high grade, like an A+, will usually indicate that a company doesn’t have too many complaints, and handles those that they do get very well.
Guarantees and Licenses
It always helps to check what kind of guarantees a contractor offers on their site. For example, some companies offer a 100% lifetime and moneyback guarantee on each roof that they install. That way, you can be sure that it’s safe to go with that company.
Make sure to check whether the Michigan company has the right certifications and licenses as well. Check that they are properly insured and bonded. This information should be readily available on their site. If it isn’t you may want to look elsewhere since not having this kind of security is not a sign that a contractor is the kind you want.
No one wants to interact with a company that’s unpleasant to deal with in general. If you can find evidence that their customer service works well and communicates effectively, this is a sure sign that the company may be a good one.
The best companies have options like a 24/7 emergency response team when you need help for damage on your roof right now or else you’ll risk trying to live in a house that is unsafe. Customer service teams of a high enough quality will also help you with insurance claims and have specially dedicated teams to that end.
You will likely want a service that can handle different types of roofs as a sign of their experience and knowledge. This could include metal roofing, flat roofing, or the more traditional kind. It also helps if they use quality materials like the GAF, CertainTeed kind.
If you’ve determined that it’s time for a new roof or repairs, or even just to check whether you need either, then it’s important to act quickly. Keeping a strong roof over your head is essential to your well-being on every level.
For more information about how you can do this, please make sure not to hesitate to go ahead and contact Twelve Oaks Roofing today. The faster you contact us, the faster we can get started on helping you to evaluate the state of your roof and then go over what options you have for fixing the problem.
The evaluation is free and there’s no obligation connected to it whatsoever. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can get started aiding you in finding a roof that is perfectly customized for your needs.