Replacing your roof is one of the biggest investments you’ll make as a homeowner. Getting it right affects the health of you and your family and the structural integrity of your property.
As part of our commitment to our valued customers, the experts at Roofing Canton Michigan, have put together a list of important questions to ask and items to consider when replacing your home’s roof.
1. How To Determine if You Need a New Roof
Before you begin with the details of what to expect in the event of a complete roof replacement, first consider whether the existing structure can be repaired.
- Shingle Condition: If you see missing shingles, that’s a definite sign that what lies beneath isn’t being protected from the weather, rodents, or insects. Another telltale sign of extensive wear includes missing granules on the shingles’ surface. The granules are a protective layer, and when missing increases the chance of damage. Curling around the edges of shingles is also a weathered look that should be replaced.
- Valley Erosion: The low points on your roof is where leaves and other debris build-up and prevent proper water drainage. Added debris also erodes the shingles’ surface over time.
- Chimney Flashing: The metal surrounding the chimney is a critical point to properly secure from water seeping in. If you see the metal in disrepair or unsecured, it may be a sign that water’s found a way into your structure.
- Water Damage: Water is your home’s enemy. Check to see if there are stains on the interior’s ceilings or walls. Feel around and check for soft spots.
- Roof’s Age: While there’s no definitive time frame for an asphalt roof’s life expectancy, a general rule of thumb is about 20 years. With Michigan’s especially harsh winters, it’s better to err on the side of caution and replace your roof if at all possible when it shows signs of needing repair.
2. Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
While you have many roofing contractor options in the Canton, MI, areas, choosing a reputable and knowledgeable professional that values client satisfaction turns a dreaded task into a sense of relief. Know the right questions to ask to find the best roofing company to meet your needs.
- Where are you located? One of the best ways to begin narrowing down your contractor search is by choosing a local business. That includes one that has a verifiable local address and phone number. An actual business location and contact information speaks to ties with the community and indicates stability.
- How long have you been in business? You want to choose a roofer who has a successful track record of working with different types of roofs and in your particular climate. Begin with a professional who has a thorough understanding of what’s required to put up a structure that’ll withstand our Michigan winters. While everyone needs a start, it’s best to choose someone who can show an excellent standing in the community for at least 10 years. Roofing Canton Michigan, for instance, brings 30 years of experience to the table.
- What type of roofing material do you work with? Of course, the obvious choice here would be choosing a contractor who has experience in working with the type of roofing material you want installed. What if you’re not sure what type of shingle you need? A well-rounded contractor who can answer your questions about the various types of roofing material and help you determine the best solution for your circumstance is invaluable.
- Do you use your own employees or subcontract? The optimal answer here is that the roofing contractor keeps all work in house. It doesn’t need to be a deal-breaker, however, so long as all workers have the proper skills and licenses.
- Are you licensed and insured? You definitely want to work with a roofing contractor who has the proper types of insurance, such as liability and workers’ comp, to protect you, him, and his workers against any unforeseen mishaps. His subcontractors should also be properly insured. Ask to see documented proof.
- Do you offer warranties? Shingle manufacturers should offer a warranty on their products, but a contractor who is willing to stand behind his work is an added asset. Get all warranties in writing.
- What is your completion time frame? Time is of the essence when it comes to roof replacements. The longer it’s delayed, the more potential for added damage and cost. Get a clear starting date and a realistic estimate to complete the job.
- What are your payment plans? Sit down with your contractor and go through when and how he expects to be paid. You do not want to pay it all upfront. Typically, you should expect to pay a percentage upfront and the balance when the job is satisfactorily completed. If you need financing, ask what options are available.
- Do you have references? A few local references with pictures of work and contact information speak volumes about the contractor’s work ethic, integrity, and job quality. Make sure you are supplied with addresses and phone numbers. Ask if you can drive by and inspect any former or current projects.
3. Understanding the Roofing Process
You want to work with a professional who can clearly define what to expect at certain stages of the roofing process. Someone who simply hopes for the best doesn’t instill confidence.
- Do I need a permit? Your contractor should be able to apply for the proper permits. At the very least, he should be able to assist you with forms, departments to contact, cost, requirements, and approval timeframe.
- Do you protect my yard and outdoor furnishings? It’s best if the homeowner removes as much as possible surrounding the immediate roofing area. Bear in mind, however, that completely tearing out a roof is an extensive project that involves removing shingles and underlayment. An experienced and professional team will have a definite plan in place to protect as much of your lawn and garden as possible. Roofing Canton Michigan, for example, lays out protective tarps and boards to protect the surrounding lawn and gardens. We also keep falling debris minimized to the provided dumpster area. Every precaution is taken to ensure that we disturb as little of your natural surroundings as possible.
- Do you clean up on a daily basis? Your lawn should be cleared of any debris daily. Routine tidying prevents accidents, but it also contributes to a more organized work area that runs more smoothly.
- Do you dispose of all waste when the job is completed? A professional team will leave your yard and all surrounding areas spotless. The only way you should know they’ve been on the job site is by the perfectly-installed roof.
4. What To Expect with Materials and Installation
- What preparations does the homeowner need to make? Your contractor should give thorough guidelines of what preparations are necessary to protect yourself and your belongings during roofing installation. Some considerations include the following:
- Move vehicles, outdoor furniture, and equipment out of harm’s way.
- Secure or pack away any particularly fragile items inside to provide added protection.
- You’ll also need to relocate while the roof is off.
- Is there a site supervisor available? You want to be able to get any questions answered as efficiently as possible. A respectable roofing company will have a skilled team of professionals onsite with one person in charge of the operation.
- How do you handle inclement weather? Any roofer worth his salt follows the weather report. He should know if a storm is imminent and have your property secured against heavy rains and winds. Ask if he securely covers the roof with tarp after each workday. A few extra days added to the schedule is to be expected when weather temporarily delays the process.
- Do you inspect roof vents and replace if necessary? Any venting should be inspected, and if needed, included with the contractor’s original estimate.
- How do you seal areas, such as chimneys, skylights, and vents? Any place there’s a break in the roof’s surface invites an added opportunity for water to seep through. The existing flashing may still be in good shape; however, if it’s showing age and wear, the most prudent option is to replace it. A seasoned roofer will know the proper measures to take to protect any protruding areas.
- How will you allow for overhang? A ¼” shingle drip edge, or overhang, is standard to allow for proper flow of water into the gutter.
- Should the gutters be replaced? Gutters tend to wear out and lose their effectiveness with age. They may also become collateral damage during a roofing replacement operation. You should plan on replacing them.
5. The Roofing Canton Michigan Roofing Difference
When you choose Roofing Canton Michigan for your roofing repairs or complete replacement, you receive top-quality service from site evaluation and estimating through to the final cleanup. There’s a reason why we have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as well as five-star Google, HomeAdvisor, and GAF ratings. It’s simply that we put our customers first.
You’ll appreciate the Roofing Canton Michigan difference from the outset. We begin with a free initial inspection of your roof, and we provide you with an honest assessment of what you need as well as the cost. There are no strong-arm tactics. If you’re not ready to make a decision, we’ll leave it at that. Our goal is always your complete satisfaction.
- Google Customer Reviews: a sampling of some of our satisfied customer comments include the following:
- “Quick reliable quality. Great crew no mess. [H]ighly recommend!”
- HomeAdvisor: Roofing Canton Michigan has earned both Top Rated and Elite Service status as well as Screened and Approved standing with HomeAdvisor.
- “Jeff estimated the job accurately and the crew came out when scheduled to and did a very satisfying job. Clean-up was thorough and the quality workmanship exceeded my expectations. Roofing Canton Michigan is a reliable and experienced company to hire and I will refer them to any one of my neighbors. Thank You HomeAdvisor for the reference.”
- “We had a great crew, very responsive to questions as the job was progressing, cleaned up well and did a great job for a great price. I was impressed enough that I’m having them put gutters on my house as well.”
- GAF: Roofing Canton Michigan has maintained certified contractor status with GAF since 2008.
- “Very well recommended from nearby homeowners, all team members were professional, and they offered a product that is well respected in the industry.”
We realize that replacing your roof is one of the biggest investments you’ll face as a homeowner. We respect each of our client’s individual circumstances, and we work with you to find the best possible solution.
- We don’t look at your job as a one-off opportunity to make a quick buck. We want to establish a long-term relationship with our customers; we ethically and fairly price each job with the highest regard for quality, efficiency, economy.
- We have a network of ethical lending companies and shingle manufacturers that provide quality service and products to fit every budget.
- Our knowledgeable team is also experienced in working with insurance companies and can assist you in filing any claims for which you may be eligible.
Attention to Detail
Beginning with our initial inspection, we’ll thoroughly evaluate your roof’s condition as well as any supplemental features like the gutters or flashing.
- Our team works with each client to assist with and answer any questions.
- We provide you with a detailed list of what you should expect at each phase of the roofing process.
- We meticulously manage our construction sites with the highest quality of materials and an exemplary work ethic.
- We thoroughly remove all debris.
Contact Roofing Canton Michigan today by completing our online form. We are your number one roofing resource in Canton, MI. Speak with a professional member of our team to arrange for a free roof inspection and estimate.